Monday, February 18, 2008

Eight years ago today

Eight years ago at this time, I was at work finishing up the lunch dishes. I was going nuts with excitement and nervousness. It was going to be an exciting day, maybe the most important day of my life, the day that I would finally meet the woman who gave birth to me! It was all I could do to not ask my boss to let me leave early. When I got home, it took me about two hours to get ready! I didn't know what to wear and I had know idea what to do about my dorky haircut! I called you that afternoon to make sure that you still wanted me to come. You told me that you had had diarreah (HA HA!) and had to make yourself eat a bologna sandwich so that you wouldn't get sick. Thinking back, I don't think I ate anything.



Everything was so surreal. When you answered the door, I couldn't believe it-we looked nearly identical. I don't know what was wrong with me, because when you asked me if I thought we looked alike I said "no". Sorry for being an ass! I'm not sure why I didn't hug you when I got there. I had no idea WHAT to do. I do remember being very happy that there was no crying going on. I wasn't into crying then. (Little did I know....)

Like I said earlier, the whole event was surreal. I remember feeling like I was floating in the air, and just watching what was going on. I had wondered about you for almost twenty two years and all of a sudden I no longer had to wonder. I'm all too guilty of putting up walls and blocking my feelings. I realize that it's not the best thing to do, but everyone has to find SOME way to cope. I know that meeting me was really hard on you too. I'm honestly sorry about that. I wish I had known more; studied up on this type of thing. Although, there's probably nothing that can completely prepare a person for reunion. If I had known that that would be the last time I saw you, I would like to think that I would've acted a little different and tried harder. One thing I know for sure, is that I certainly would have hugged you. Hugged you for a long time. Anyhow, here's to eight years of no longer having to wonder. **holding up beer mug for a toast**

Best wishes,
Jen

No comments: