Friday, February 15, 2008

A cancelled appointment

I was supposed to see my doctor today for a "girl exam". I didn't go. I called and cancelled. The reasoning for which, may sound stupid, but made sense to me at the time. I knew the doctor was going to ask questions that I don't have the answer to. I knew I would be asked if anyone in my family had had breast cancer. I'm almost 30 and that's the age you have to start having mammograms if you have a family history. I didn't want to once again, have to say, "I don't know. I was adopted". It's not so much embarassing, as it is awkward. Most people just have no idea what to say, so they say some of the most stupidist things. Many don't understand that they really shouldn't ask questions and should basically SHUT UP! I've had doctors ask me if I knew who you were, if I'd met you, do I talk to you, do I have siblings yada yada yada... Luckily, as I've gotten older, I have learned to give short answers that don't lead to more questions.

Best wishes,
Jen

No comments: